Fall Pest Prevention Tips For Phoenix & Tucson Homeowners
It’s official, fall has arrived! Although it doesn’t necessarily feel different, it won’t be long before we experience some cooler mornings that remind us that we’ve transitioned into a new season. When that happens, homeowners in the Phoenix metro as well as Tucson and Southern Arizona will have to face the reality of fall pests. To be fair, there’s a good chance rodents, spiders, and other insects are already trying to find suitable accommodations for the winter months. In today’s post, our local pest control specialists will share four fall pest prevention tips that will help repel unwanted houseguests.
4 pest prevention tips to keep fall pests out
Pest-proof your home
The best way to prevent pests from taking over your home this fall is to make sure they cannot get inside in the first place. Pest-proofing, also known as pest exclusion, is a great way to accomplish that. So how does one pest-proof their home? The answer is to locate and seal every potential opening on the exterior of your house that would allow an insect or rodent to sneak inside.
- Seal cracks, gaps, and openings on the outside of the house with caulking or another type of sealer.
- Screen attic vents and chimney openings
- Replace or install weather-stripping
- Repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows
- Install door sweeps
- Repair or replace ripped window screens
If you’re short on time or would rather have a professional pest-proof your home, check out our Desert Guard service!
Fix moisture problems this fall
Although most homes in the Sonoran Desert are built on slabs, there are a few that have basements or crawlspaces. If your home is one of those, you’ll want to make sure that it is dry and well ventilated otherwise the high humidity or excessive moisture will attract cockroaches and other pests looking for a warm place to stay with a water source. You should also repair leaks in appliances, air conditioning units, or plumbing and make sure water drains properly outside (not towards your home, but away).
Why not do a deep fall clean
Fall cleaning is not as popular as spring cleaning but it’s just as important and will help you discourage pests that are trying to get inside once it grows colder.
- Toss out any canned goods or packaged foods that have expired or that have not been sealed up properly (you don’t want to use items infested with stored product pests)
- Clean kitchen cupboards and pantry shelf to remove crumbs and other food debris
- Store food in containers with tight-fitting lids (glass is a great option)
- Disinfect kitchen counters, appliances, and other surfaces
- Vacuum and dust hard-to-reach areas and other spaces you don’t regularly attend to
- Deep clean bathrooms
- Don’t forget to clean outdoor living spaces including the grill and propane tank that tends to accumulate grease build up
Organize/declutter closets & other storage areas this fall
Mice, rats, and insects love closets, garages, and other areas where homeowners store their belongings and that’s because they can easily hide among the clutter. To prevent this, our local pest control specialists suggest the following:
- Toss cardboard boxes, newspapers, and other items that are no longer needed
- Haul away/donate used items that your family doesn’t use anymore
- Store holiday decorations in durable plastic containers with lids that pests cannot penetrate
- Do not store pet food, bird seed, and other edible items in storage areas unless they are in airtight containers
- Thoroughly clean storage areas before reorganizing items
As you unpack items stored away, be sure to use caution. Shake clothing and fabrics out carefully and inspect everything for signs of bugs or rodents.
What to do if spiders, mice, or other falls pests have already infested your Arizona home
If you’ve already discovered pests in your home this fall, reach out to Northwest Exterminating. Our locally operated pest control company has been solving pest problems in Southern Arizona since 1990 and offers quality home pest control services in Phoenix, Tucson, and throughout our multi-county service area. Compare our residential plans below or reach out to request a free estimate!
Request Your FREE Estimate
Have questions or need help getting rid of pests? Simply complete the form below or give us a call!
Pest Solutions For Homes & Businesses
Northwest Exterminating provides pest control services in the Phoenix-metro and Tucson as well as throughout Southern Arizona that target the pests that are found in our region's unique desert environment. We promise personalized service and state-of-the-art techniques for all your exterminating needs.
Any Pest, On Time, Guaranteed.