What do brown dog ticks look like?
Brown dog ticks are arachnids so they have eight legs and two body parts. Their elongated bodies are red-brown in color and 1/8 inch long. Engorged females grow to 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide and turn gray-blue to olive colored. Larval ticks only have six legs.
Ticks have a hexagonally shaped connection (capituli) at the head and body joint. They also have two mouthparts: backward shaped teeth to open skin and make holes, and piercing-sucking mouthparts to draw blood.
When are brown dog ticks most active?
Habits of brown dog ticks
- Diet: Blood
- Activity: When ready to feed or lay eggs.
- Preferred Climate: Warmer climate.
- Defense: Small unnoticeable size
- Cautions: Will attach to other available animals including humans, but are most attracted to dogs. Pet may act irritable. Carry diseases such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever, tularemia, and tick paralysis.
- Home Invasion: Pets will carry in ticks from outdoors. The ticks will hide in cracks and crevices until they feed.
Are brown dog ticks dangerous?
It is not the tick bite but the toxins in the tick’s saliva transmitted through the bite that causes disease.
Where do brown dog ticks nest?
Brown dog ticks will nest deep in the hair of animals. Ticks will enter indoors through the fur or hair of infested pets.
Helpful hints about brown dog ticks
To keep brown dog ticks off your pets, we recommend implementing the following prevention tips:
- Keep dogs off natural paths and other landscape transition zones where ticks may be found.
- Treating the pet completed by the pet owner or a veterinarian.
- Cleaning areas that pet frequents.
- Sign up for regular pest control service plan.
Interesting facts about brown dog ticks
Remove a tick from the point of entry (where the mouthparts attach to the skin) by firmly and steadily pulling directly outward without twisting. Put removed tick in alcohol to kill it. Clean the bite with disinfectant.
How do you get rid of brown dog ticks?
For help resolving a tick problem on your property, reach out to Northwest Exterminating today!
After moving in I quickly discovered that the home was INFESTED with vermin and BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS!
NW Exterminating installed ‘Desert Guard’ and that took care of ALL of the vermin, and, after a few treatments of Spider Power-Dusting in my crawl space I am free of dangerous spiders!
Request Your FREE Estimate
Have questions or need help getting rid of brown dog ticks or other pests? Simply complete the form below or give us a call!