How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches From Your Arizona Home
Are you dealing with cockroaches in your Arizona home? Nobody wants these disgusting pests inside their house. That’s why we put together a list of ideas that can help you keep this unwanted insect away. But first, let’s learn a little bit about cockroaches and the types of cockroaches we have in Arizona.
Cockroaches have a reputation of being hard to kill and have seemingly been around forever. Cockroaches date back at least as far as the Carboniferous period, which is about 300 million years ago. That’s a long, long time that people have been trying to get rid of these scampering insects.
Cockroaches thrive in both hot and cold climates, have great survival tactics and easily adapt to their surroundings. These pests spend 75% of their time resting, so they have a lot of energy saved to scatter out of the way when a light comes on in the middle of the night.
Here are a few weird, interesting facts about cockroaches:
- Because they are cold-blooded insects, cockroaches can live without food for a month, but will only last one week without water.
- A cockroach can hold its breath for 40 minutes.
- A cockroach can live without its head. These insects have an open circulatory system that allows them to breathe through small holes in other parts of their body so they don’t need their nose or mouth to breathe. The roach will eventually die because it can’t eat or drink.
- Cockroaches like beer, most likely because of the mixture of hops and sugar.
Types of roaches in Arizona
There are two types of roaches that are common in Arizona; the German, which are light brown with two black, horizontal stripes located just behind their head and grow to about ½ inch long and the American (also known as the sewer roach), which are reddish-brown, have a yellow band behind their heads and can grow to more than three inches long. The German roaches are harder to kill.
Cockroach prevention tips from the AZ pest control experts at Northwest Exterminating
Cockroaches are weird, have been around forever, adapt easily to their environment and seem to be everywhere. So, how can we prevent and eliminate cockroaches from your home? Let’s talk about some ideas.
- American roaches are commonly associated with the outdoors. They burrow into moist areas like under leaky faucets, shrubs, garden areas, woodpiles, sprinklers and standing water. Walk around the perimeter of your home, clear debris and get rid of these types of situations.
- Repair leaks in foundation, faucets, pipes and hose bibs. Check out drains as well. Get rid of all excess water sources.
- Caulk around doors, windows and any other potential entry areas to help prevent cockroaches from entering.
- Get rid of or cover all potential food sources. Make sure pet food containers are closed tight. Don’t leave dirty dishes lying around, even in the sink, always rinse them in soapy water. This goes for pet bowls too, always pick up and clean after use. The littlest residue can provide a food source for any cockroach.
- Create /establish a barrier for entry. This is achieved by having a professional / licensed company provide you with an exterior application either monthly of bi-monthly. This exterior application is installed by treating the exterior of your structure with a registered product mixed in water solution. Due to the weather in Arizona we recommend this barrier is re-installed monthly or bi-monthly. Longer periods allow for the material to break down and it will lose it effectiveness.
- Granual formulations may also be applied, especially in inclement weather. This is best left to a pest control professional.
- The most effective way to get rid of cockroaches from your home is to contact a pest control specialist such as Contractors Termites and Pest Control. We offer a wide range of pest control services and can develop a pest treatment plan specifically for you.
Learn more about our pest control services or give us a call to discuss your pest problem. We proudly serve Southern Arizona including Tucson, Phoenix, the entire Phoenix Valley.
Request Your FREE Estimate
Have questions or need help getting rid of pests? Simply complete the form below or give us a call!
Pest Solutions For Homes & Businesses
Northwest Exterminating provides pest control services in the Phoenix-metro and Tucson as well as throughout Southern Arizona that target the pests that are found in our region's unique desert environment. We promise personalized service and state-of-the-art techniques for all your exterminating needs.
Any Pest, On Time, Guaranteed.