What do carpet beetles look like?
Small, oval insects normally less than 1/8 to 1/4 inch long. The larvae are usually half the size of the adult and are covered with bristles. Some species are a solid black while others can be mottled in color. Some possess scales on their bodies.
When are carpet beetles most active?
Life cycle of the carpet beetle
Females lay 30 to100 eggs in secluded, dark areas near food sources. Eggs hatch in 1-3 weeks. Larvae molt 5-12 times over a 3-36 month period. Pupa stage lasts 6 to 24 days. The adult takes up to 3 weeks to emerge.
Habits of carpet beetles
- Diet: Animal based materials like wool, insects in stored products, seeds. Adults feed on pollen.
- Activity: Dark Areas
- Preferred Climate: Temperate climates
- Defense: Small unnoticeable size
- Cautions: Larval stage causes damage to fabrics and stored food sources/products.
- Home Invasion: Mainly found indoors hidden in carpet fibers, stored products, by baseboards or windows. Small irregular holes will be a sign of feeding.
Are carpet beetles dangerous?
Carpet beetles do not pose a danger to humans. They are annoyance and may eat through fabrics.
Where do carpet beetle infestations develop?
Infestation levels develop in collections of household lint, woolen fabrics, feathers, and other items of animal origin.
Helpful hints about carpet beetles
To prevent a carpet beetle infestation in your structure, we recommend:
- Vacuuming regularly
- Cleaning fabrics and use moth crystals or balls when storing
- Storing fabrics and food in tightly sealed containers
- Discarding all infested material
- Having your home or business treated regularly by a pest control company
Interesting facts about the carpet beetle
Larvae can grow backward if deprived of food. This process is called retrogressive molting.
How do you get rid of carpet beetles?
For help getting rid of carpet beetles, contact Northwest Exterminating today! Our pest control specialists will be glad to inspect and offer treatment recommendations for your carpet beetle recommendation. Simply fill out the form below or give us a shout.
After moving in I quickly discovered that the home was INFESTED with vermin and BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS!
NW Exterminating installed ‘Desert Guard’ and that took care of ALL of the vermin, and, after a few treatments of Spider Power-Dusting in my crawl space I am free of dangerous spiders!
Request Your FREE Estimate
Have questions or need help getting rid of carpet beetles or other pests? Simply complete the form below or give us a call!